Personal Care Products: Gadgets That Help Maintain Sound Health
Technology and electronic gadgets are an integral part of our lives. Gadgets make our lives simpler and more efficient. So, it is wise to utilize them in our hygiene practices as well. Although these personal care products are not an absolute necessity, having them brings some added advantage. Here is a list of some commonly used gadgets that can ease your life and boost the cleaning process.
Popular personal hygiene gadgets
Check out the pros and cons of these personal hygiene gadgets.
1. Electronic facial cleansers
Electronic facial cleansers are either battery-operated or rechargeable devices. These devices have small silicone beads. They are waterproof and have gentle pulsations. The silicone beads help in deeply cleansing the pores and exfoliating the dead cells, thereby preventing acne. The vibration provides massage, which improves blood circulation, making the skin look firmer and radiant. All you have to do is wet your face, apply the cleanser, and use this device in circular motions. If you own this gadget, you could save on salon trips.
However, excessive use of this device can cause dryness and trigger inflammation. So, use it in moderation.
2. Electric toothbrush
Electric toothbrushes are battery-operated. They vibrate and rotate to remove the plaque build-up on the teeth and gums. Studies have shown that these toothbrushes are more effective in removing plaque and reducing gingivitis. Moreover, some of these brushes have timers, which you can adjust as per your requirements. This ensures that you brush long enough.
These brushes are a boon for people who have weak muscles and joints, neurological difficulties, and arthritis. Another study by the University of Berlin proved that these brushes are quite effective for people with orthodontic implants, such as braces. However, electric brushes are expensive, can be hard on the gums, and require repeated charging.
3. Touch-free soap/ sanitizer dispenser
Washing or sanitizing our hands has become a constant practice since the beginning of the coronavirus pandemic. A better way to achieve touch-free cleaning of hands is by using an automated soap or sanitizer dispenser. Such dispensers have a sensor, which detects your hands and then dispenses soap or sanitizer in adequate amounts. With this, you do not have to touch the manual push-dispensers. The only disadvantage of this gadget is that it’s battery operated and needs timely replacement.
4. Toothbrush holder and sanitizer
People use a toothbrush to clean their mouths and tend to leave it just like that wrapped in moisture. This is the perfect environment for microbes to thrive in. Ultraviolet (UV) light toothbrush holders-cum-sanitizers are the perfect antidote. The UV light is effective in killing microbes, thereby making a toothbrush microbe-free. Although the toothbrush may not be 100% germ-free, it will considerably reduce the microbial amount.
5. Electric trimmer
Both men and women opt for hair removal to maintain good hygiene. While many people like sticking to traditional methods, such as using a manual razor, threading, or waxing, an electric trimmer serves the purpose more efficiently. It has many benefits compared to a traditional trimmer, such as:
- It facilitates faster shaving
- It saves spending on shaving creams or soaps
- It lasts long, ranging between three to five years
- It reduces the risk of nicks, cuts, skin irritation, and in-grown hair
- It is versatile; you may utilize it to shave your face, legs, and hands
However, an electric trimmer is costly and is somewhat noisy while in use.
6. Vacuum cleaner
A vacuum cleaner is an electric device that uses air to clean the dirt and dust from the floor and other surfaces. Its pros are:
- It is easy to use; just plug it in the socket and clean any surface
- It removes airborne germs, as it is installed with High- Efficiency Particulate Absorbing (HEPA) filters that block and remove microbes
Recent technological advances in vacuum cleaners have resulted in their automation and paved the development of a robot vacuum cleaner. Such a device overcomes the disadvantages of manual vacuum cleaners, such as heavy weight and storage difficulty. Robot vacuum cleaners are small, work on any surface, detect dirt on their own, and function efficiently. However, they are noisy, need frequent emptying, and do not reach every corner of the house.
7. Air purifier
The quality of air is degrading because of increasing air pollution. Air purifiers work as air sanitizers, making air cleaner to breathe. Although they do not remove all the pollutants, air purifiers neutralize the substances in the air, which may elicit an immune response. They are capable of filtering the air of allergens, smoke, and microbes. So, they are ideal for people having asthma, bronchitis, or any other lung disorder.
It is advisable to place air purifiers near the windows or any place where the airflow is maximum, as this gadget purifies the air entering the house. The placement of the air purifier depends on the Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR), which indicates the volume of filtered air that an air cleaner delivers in one hour. Moreover, it provides individual scores for smoke, pollen, and dust. The CADR must be equal to two-thirds of the room’s area. However, air purifiers are expensive as they involve high maintenance expenses. Moreover, they result in the emission of chlorofluorocarbons and are not 100% efficient.
Personal hygiene and cleanliness hygiene in your surroundings are extremely important to ensure that you are in the pink of your health. Gadgets help immensely in this objective. So, incorporating them into your hygiene activities is a smart idea.
1. 7+ Gadgets to Fight Outbreaks with Good Hygiene. Interesting Engineering. https://interestingengineering.com/7-gadgets-to-fight-outbreaks-with-good-hygiene (accessed June 16, 2021).
2. Advantages and Disadvantages of Vacuum Cleaner. Zelect. http://www.zelect.in/vacuum-cleaner/advantages-and-disadvantages-of-vacuum-cleaner (accessed June 16, 2021).
3. 10 Benefits Of Using An Electric Shaver. Shaver Insider. https://www.shaverinsider.com/10-benefits-using-electric-shaver/ (accessed June 16, 2021).
4. Hygienic Touch-Free Soap Dispenser. Seniority. https://www.seniority.in/hygienic-touch-free-soap-dispenser-pdp (accessed June 16, 2021).
5. Is It Better to Use an Electric or a Manual Toothbrush? Healthline. https://www.healthline.com/health/dental-and-oral-health/electric-toothbrush-vs-manual (accessed June 16, 2021).
6. Electric toothbrushes win the head-to-head against manual in record breaking new study. American Dental Association. https://www.dentalhealth.org/news/electric-toothbrushes-win-the-head-to-head-against-manual-in-record-breaking-new-study (accessed June 16, 2021).
7. Robot Vacuums: Are They Really Worth It? Homeowner FAQs. https://homeownerfaqs.com/robot-vacuum-cleaners/ (accessed June 16, 2021).
8. Do Air Purifiers Actually Work? Healthline. https://www.healthline.com/health/allergies/do-air-purifiers-work (accessed June 16, 2021).
9. Heintze SD, Jost-Brinkmann PG, Loundos J. Effectiveness of three different types of electric toothbrushes compared with a manual technique in orthodontic patients. Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop Off Publ Am Assoc Orthod its Const Soc Am Board Orthod 1996; 110: 630–8.